Home of the NightWatch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Statistics
We have 97 registered users
The newest registered user is Hanyou

Our users have posted a total of 7628 messages in 1095 subjects

IC/OOC Training

3 posters

Go down

IC/OOC Training Empty IC/OOC Training

Post by Aristeen Sun Jan 22 2012, 00:57

The only way really to explain this, is in OOC format (Out of Character). You'll understand later once I've explained everything to you.

In all the sites throughout the game of Raven Black, everyone speaks in IC terms (In Character). The only time that you, the human is allowed to say something is in the area marked "OOC". That is for our humans to discuss things dealing with the game. Every place else at the forums in the city are strictly to be used by our characters.

Some place else you have to be mindful about not mixing IC with OOC conversations would be in chat windows, like yahoo messenger. For an example, if I were to chat with you in yahoo messenger, it would be your character and my character Ari, who would speak. If you as the human needed to speak to me, the human behind Ari, you would note in the chat either: OOC: or, you would use parentheses ((around your human speak)).

IE: Smitty124: Ari I need your help in the Training School
Aristeen1: No problem Smit, what do you need help with?
Smitty124: OOC: We need to work on the site a bit and change some things around.
Aristeen1: Sure no problem, if I step on your toes, just let me know.

*This conversation was actually an imagination of my figment Wink but it helps to show one way an IC conversation could be switched to OOC. Permission for the use of this example was gained by Smit. Another way is as follows:

Smitty124: Ari I need your help in the Training School
Aristeen1: No problem Smit, what do you need help with?
Smitty124: ((We need to work on the site a bit and change some things around))
Aristeen1: ((Sure no problem, if I step on your toes, just let me know))

Now, the conversation started out automatically as an IC or In Character convo. Once Smitty stated "OOC" , I knew that everything there after until switched back by one of us, was going to be Out of Character.

The following is a conversation that is strictly In Character (IC).

smitty124: Hi Aristeen, How goes things down at the training school?
Aristeen1: Things are going great Smit. I've been working my tail off all night working on the new decor. You should check it out and see what you think.
smitty124: Im on my way up to Headquarters now. I'll be there soon.
smitty124: How has that new student zaphoid been doing?
Aristeen1: He's been great! I don't think I've seen a student work so hard before. He called me on my cell phone yesterday and told me he was done with Celerity 3 already!
smitty124: Glad to hear! I love to see cadets with great motivation.

The above conversation, was between our two characters only. There was no human interjection at all. This is how you will be expected to converse with everyone in the city, not unless of course, you note the change to OOC.

Now, in the conversation, please note, that Ari told Smitty that the student "called her on her cell phone". A cell phone is your yahoo messenger. If your character the student wishes to speak with Ari on the phone, your character would "call" her at Aristeen1@yahoo.com .

Another type of mixing IC with OOC is if you the human becomes angry with another players human and then have your character act out against the other persons character. THAT is uncalled for. Or, if a character in the city does something that your vampire doesn't like, do NOT as the human, act out against the other characters human. This is a game for crying out loud. Leave your in game problems in the city and leave your real life problems in your real life. What takes place in this game is totally separate from what takes place in our real lives. Learn to keep them separate. If you can't, then take a little time off to clear your head. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to have your character contact mine, or you can contact me. Take your pick.

If you have any questions about this, please see me, or should I say, call Ari. To make sure that you understand the difference, we will hold a conversation over the cell phones. One convo will be IC and the other will go from IC to OOC.

There are times that people will cross IC with OOC. This can cause some confusion and go so far as to create problems. So let's alleviate all that!

There will be one other assignment in Training School 1. In order for others to see what kind of personality you have, you will need to write a detailed history of yourself. It may contain your turning and everything following. Do you remember who your mortal parents were/are? Did you have any siblings? Where were you born? Who turned you? Was a bad experience or a good one? Did you stay in one place or move around? How did you come to Raven Black?

These are all just different ideas to take into consideration when writing up your history. You may, if you wish, go into "The Character Sheet" section here at the Night Watch to see how others wrote theirs. The more detail, the better. It tells us who YOU are. This history will need to be finished within your first 90 days here.
Aristeen
Aristeen

City Location or Affiliation : Path of Enlightenment

Back to top Go down

IC/OOC Training Empty Re: IC/OOC Training

Post by MelloLily Wed Mar 06 2013, 02:47

OOC:

Note...

When you said "Aristeen1: Sure no problem, if I step on your toes, just let me know." the first time, you did not put "OOC:"
MelloLily
MelloLily
Constable
Constable

http://flamingandburn.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Aida Wed Mar 06 2013, 05:11

Parenthesis indicates OOC. You don't need to state "OOC" just use parenthesis and people will know that you're speaking as the player, not the character.
Aida
Aida
Retired
Retired

City Location or Affiliation : De Silva

Back to top Go down

Post by Aristeen Wed Mar 06 2013, 09:29

I understand where you're coming from on that question. Smit/Scott had said "OOC", so everything that we were to speak of after that, was to be OOC only...UNTIL, one of us stated that the convo was to go back to IC. A lot of times, when we the humans are friends with each other, we hold longer than "normal" OOC convos with each other. Rather than having to constantly type in brackets for each time you want to say something, just mark the convo "OOC". That way, you can hold a convo as long as you wish. When the two of you are eventually ready to go back to an IC convo, then mark it, "IC".

The following convo once again is strictly fictional:

Aristeen1: Hey Smit, have you checked out the new student of late?
SmitSmit: No why? Are they doing alright? Is there a problem?
Aristeen1: They are doing great!
Aristeen1: OOC: Scott, I will be in and out for the next few days. Dealing with Bronchitis. Feel like crap dude.
SmitSmit: Not a problem. I can have Smit keep a closer eye on the students for Ari. Hope you get to feeling better.
Aristeen1: Thanks hon. Gonna see the doc today. Back to IC: Leave me a voice mail if you need help with anything.
I'll pop on over to the NW Headquarters.
SmitSmit: Sounds great Ari.

Now that is how a convo would go IF you went from IC to OOC back to IC again. Just make sure that the other person is aware of which "YOU" is speaking. Either you the human, or your character.

This is that same convo using brackets to note the OOC stuff.

Aristeen1: Hey Smit, have you checked out the new student of late?
SmitSmit: No why? Are they doing alright? Is there a problem?
Aristeen1: They are doing great!
Aristeen1: ((Scott, I will be in and out for the next few days. Dealing with Bronchitis. Feel like crap dude.))
SmitSmit: ((Not a problem. I can have Smit keep a closer eye on the students for Ari. Hope you get to feeling better.))
Aristeen1: ((Thanks hon. Gonna see the doc today.)) Leave me a voice mail if you need help with anything.
I'll pop on over to the NW Headquarters.
SmitSmit: Sounds great Ari.

Either way works fine, I personally, just get tired of having to constantly type in the brackets all the time when I know I'm going to have a fairly lengthy OOC convo with someone.

You adopt whichever method works best for you.
Aristeen
Aristeen

City Location or Affiliation : Path of Enlightenment

Back to top Go down

Post by MelloLily Thu Mar 07 2013, 01:06

((I understand now. Just used to my old ways where it has to be said each time. Razz))
MelloLily
MelloLily
Constable
Constable

http://flamingandburn.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down